Monday, November 28, 2016

19. EARLY RENDERS

During Christmas, I was at a friend's holiday party, when the discussion of animation came up. We were all watching my favorite Christmas film (and my favorite animated film, and probably one of my favorite all-time films) The Nightmare Before Christmas. I must have watched that movie hundreds of times in my life, and dissected many of the key elements of the film.

In any case, when the discussion turned to animation, I shared that I am an animator, and that I was currently working on a short film. However, I didn't have anything to show my new friend. She just had to take for granted all of the weird things I was telling her. Since animation is essentially a visual medium, I should have a visual example to share with discussing my work. This might seem odd, except that I always carry with me an iPad so that I can read (or a smart phone that has the ability to share images or movies). (The careful reader will notice that in an earlier post I slammed Mac computers for their inefficient OSX that doesn't run 3D applications well; to be sure, I love Apple toys (iPhones and iPads), it's just their computers that I think are terrible.)

I'm telling you all of that so I can tell you this. I then began rendering still images as I could, and carried them with me, or shared them on social media (a little bit). Like I said earlier, I don't like promoting a project before it is complete, because if I don't complete it, then I dislike the character that makes of me. However, I was willing to share stills here and there with certain people. This was a big change for me, because in my previous projects, I didn't share anything until the final product was complete. The problem with such a strategy is that by that point, it is too late to fix or correct problems. Thus, for the first time, I was opening myself up to criticism and asking for feedback so that I might change things and better them while still in the production process.


  
Website:  Contacts:       and the film: 


No comments:

Post a Comment