Monday, November 14, 2016

14. FOYER REFERENCES

I've been writing all of this as though I merely created the exterior scene, then created the three additional interior scenes in a strict order. In fact, there was a lot of jumping back and forth between the scenes. Sometimes I got overworked on one set, and had to take a step away from that set for a bit, and so I worked on a different set. The rule for each was more or less the same: research online images for reference images, and go from there.

For the interior scenes, my initial attitude was to create a grungy, abandoned building sort of aesthetic. I liked the idea of paint peeling off the walls, and derelict furniture throughout. But before all that, I had to get the underlying architecture first.

So when I did my Google searches, I entered things like abandoned houses, asylums, or hospitals. One particular place that caught my interest, and was well documented was the abandoned Beelitz Sanatorium complex in Germany. After making that decision, I simply followed the model that I could decipher from several photographs, and that served as the foyer of the apartment building where "The Music of Erich Zann" would take place.

My final foyer design

Beelitz Hospital reference  

Website:  Contacts:       


No comments:

Post a Comment