Tuesday, November 22, 2016

18. TOO MANY LIGHTS

When setting out writing this blog, I had hoped to tackle production issues more or less in the order that they were faced. However, I suppose that now is as good as ever to discuss the rendering issues for the foyer.

The first obvious issue is that the polygon count was ridiculous. This always seemed to increase because I insisted on an ornamental style. This goes for the arches, as well as the columns that held the walls up. I could have made the Greek columns relatively simple, but instead I went for the more complex Corinthian style columns. This meant that I had to model all of the ornamental details at the pedestal of the column.

But I later discovered that the greatest challenge for rendering the scenes in the foyer was the lighting. To be sure, as much as I complained about my lack of skill with texturing, I have so much less understanding of rendering and lighting. I've read books, and it all seems straightforward, but I doubt that I've scratched the surface of understanding this.

It seemed obvious to me that I wanted a dark environment for "TheMusic of Erich Zann," since it was, at root, a horror story. This seemed best achieved with low lit rooms. But in order to have a low lit foyer, I decided to put lamps all over the room. Since I was going for high quality, I determined that I would have each of the physical lamps in the room represent a real light source. In the earliest incarnations, this set had twenty or more lights. Of course, this made render times blow up. I later tried to strategically eliminate lights, as well as physical lamps in the foyer. In fact, at the very end of production, it was one shot in this foyer set that I must have rendered six different times, all with a ridiculous lighting artifact that I didn't know how to solve. In the end, I just sacrificed this shot, and included an inferior rendering of the shot. (Those who watch carefully might see what was sacrificed.) Oh well.

In the future, I would really like to study rendering a bit more, and discover more tools and options for this task.



Website:  Contacts:       and the film: 

No comments:

Post a Comment