Tuesday, November 8, 2016

12. EXTERIOR PROPS AND SET DRESSING

Besides buildings, I need tons of other elements to fill out the visual space of the world for "The Music of Erich Zann." There are lots of different ways that I address these needs.

In some cases, I will try to re-use different set elements and/ or props from previous projects I've completed. In fact, I try to make sure to incorporate at least one item from each of the previous animation projects I've completed. (I find a bit of vindication for this in knowing that in every movie they make, Pixar somehow incorporates the bouncing ball with the star.) My earliest work is "Ransom," and that piece didn't really have very nice props or set dressing at all, so it is difficult to bring something in from that project, but every project following that one is represented somewhere in this completed film.

  

In this first shot, I used pipes from an aborted (or maybe it is only severely delayed) video game project called "Homeless Guy." Since the first scene was a street scene, and "Homeless Guy" was mainly used street settings, I was able to bring in other elements as well. However, in some cases, I either changed the textures, or I had to change the geometry. This is because my modeling skills were not as developed when they were originally made a few years ago.

  

Another way that I tried to fill out the sets was to design new props. I knew that I wanted this film to have higher quality than my previous works, so in some cases I had to create completely new models. I typically went back to my photo references and saw what details I needed to add to create a set that was more alive. Sometimes, like with trash cans, it was straightforward how I would model the prop. However, one significant challenge was with barbed wire. I didn't really know how I would do this, so I simply searched online for resources that thought me what tools to use to model barbed wire. I always like learning new techniques.

The final technique that I used to help populate sets was to use props and items from other sets. This is seen in the pieces of that you might see laying around next to the garbage cans. 

  



Website:  Contacts:       

No comments:

Post a Comment