Thursday, November 17, 2016

16. PROPS AND SET DRESSING

As can be seen from the final images of the foyer, they are a far cry from my initial vision of an abandoned or derelict apartment building. In fact, the final version of the foyer actually seemed quite a bit more refined in nature. (I think a term that is used to describe such a style is rustic-chic.) This is just one example where the final aesthetic choices were determined not by my vision, but rather by the resources that I had at my disposal. I couldn't find adequate texture sets that gave a nice run-down look (or as run-down as I had initially aspired to), but I did find texture sets that fit this scene and architecture better. That is how many of my aesthetic decision were determined while making "The Music of Erich Zann."

Since the style of the interior was thus determined, it also figured that there should be interesting furniture to fill out the space. Unlike the exterior scene where a lot of trash and debris could be placed here and there, a nice interior must have a bit of furniture. I regret that I am not the best interior designer, but finding some reference images that I liked was fruitful enough, and I thus fleshed out several furniture pieces. From the outset I researched Victorian, Louis XIV, and French furniture. I knew that I wanted something more ornamental as opposed to stark modern styles.

I actually impressed myself, because I was pleased with how these chairs and sofa turned out. I hadn't created such pieces before. I didn't think that I could model such pieces, and figuring out the details was nice. However, like everything else in this film, they were high-resolution, and thus the total polygon count of scenes exploded.

The frames and the flowers were easier to execute. The flowers I already had from a previous project, and frames were little more than decorated squares. For the pictures in the frames, I looked for Renaissance drawings... just because.



  



Website:  Contacts:       

No comments:

Post a Comment