Monday, November 21, 2016

17. ORNAMENTS

One interesting challenge that I posed to myself was to model ornamental elements for the foyer. The most obvious examples of this are with the Greek columns and the stair railings.

For the Greek Corinthian columns, I had to continuously refer back to reference images in order to plan out the each element of the capital. Then after one element was completed, I duplicated it around the column.

A easier, though still tedious, solution was achieved with the stair railing. In order to give that fancy feeling, I wanted there to be a wrought iron element here. I did online searches for ornamental design, and found many nice black-line illustrations that I could simply trace over. I started with a plane, and drew curves through which I would extrude the edges of the plane. After that was complete, I extruded the plane to give it 3D depth, and then smoothed it.The solution was easy, and only utilized very beginner-level techniques, but was tedious because it entailed tracing over so many lines. After texturing the wrought iron geometry with a rusty texture, I duplicated it along the entire staircase. Of course, this increased the polygon count many times over.

The last example that you see in the picture below is the arch. Instead of doing a simple arch, this one has indentations, and different levels of detail that add just a little something extra. 



        


Website: 
 Contacts:       and the film: 

No comments:

Post a Comment