Tuesday, November 15, 2016

15. TEXTURING THE FOYER

The abandoned aesthetic that I was going for in the interior sets required very specific texture details. I found some examples that really spoke to me, and that I preferred for the walls, but they just didn't work. I tried many times to force them in place, and I still couldn't manage to develop an image of paint peeling off the walls. As I've noted several times earlier, texturing just isn't my forte, so I was limited in what I could do. That said, my eyes did work well enough to determine that my initial attempts were not turning out well.

To be honest, at this point I felt that I was at a loss. I didn't know how best to texture the walls. But then looking at my original reference images of Beelitz Sanatorium, and other images of interesting interiors, I noticed that most large interior walls are not one surface texture from floor to ceiling. Instead, the walls are typically split at certain places (typically by some sort of rail or something like that), and thus the monochromatic nature of the wall fades. Because I was only using tiled textures, this was where most of the problem sat: the size of the walls required that the number of tiles added up beyond the small number that I wanted to limit myself too. When the tiling gets too large, repetitions are clearly visible to the viewer, and thus offers a diminished aesthetic experience. But once I divided the walls up, I was able to significantly decrease the number of times any texture was tiled.

I also realized that for surfaces that still required large tiling numbers, I would have to use a more evenly distributed texture. That is, I used more plain textures that didn't have conspicuous defining features that would be easy to spot when repeated. I hope that this illusion held up in the final product.

  

These are some early versions of the foyer, with the textures that I decided to not use.

Below is a more finalized version of the foyer.



Website:  Contacts:       

No comments:

Post a Comment