Wednesday, February 22, 2017

49. RENDERING

Incorrectly, I always consider production over once my animation is complete, and I consider rendering to be post-production. Really, everything is just production; there is no pre-production, or post-production, there is only production, or no production.

I began the rendering process on August 19, 2016. I anticipated that the total rendering time would be about a month. I initially only rendered it at a resolution of hd540, to get it completed for a pre-showing later in October. The process didn't actually finish until October 10, 2016. During this time, I rendered almost each scene twice because of different errors in rendering. Oh well.

Also, I was accustomed, in my previous project, to batch rendering multiple scenes, and just leaving the computer alone for that time. However, the Mac computer didn't seem able to do this. It was a pain. To make it even worse, the Mac renders at such a slow rate that I feared this lower resolution rendering would take months to complete.

To resolve this, I pulled out my five year old Windows machine, and while the Mac was rendering some shots, I had this old warhorse churning out frames more than twice as fast. 

With two machines working, I was able to complete the whole project quicker. However, there were a few issues that I faced. One was that I thought that two machines could one shot, which could be later stitched together flawlessly. However, after doing this with a few shots, I saw that there were slight inconsistencies in how the different machines generated the same renders. For that reason, I stuck to a new policy: one machine, one shot. 

The other difficulty that developed was that after I was finished, and compiled all the scene files into an archive, there were silly confusions regarding which scene file was the final version. This really hit me when I finally got around to rendering the hd1080 version of the film. I thought that I would merely have to pull up the old scene files, and switch their settings to hd1080 before rendering. However, because I confused myself with version control, I ended up rendering the wrong scene a couple of times. That was especially frustrating because I would only learn about the mistake after rendering for several days or more; I would think that I was done rendering the scene, then I take a look, and I realize that I have to do it all over again. 

Website:  Contacts:       and the film: 

No comments:

Post a Comment