Friday, February 3, 2017

42. ANIMATION - MOTION CAPTURE

Creating the animatic was a bit more time-consuming than I had supposed it would be. Even though I knew that I wasn't creating the best animation possible, I did still want to make something that was adequate, and that nicely represented what the final image might actually look like.

In fact, my own animation skills from my previous projects probably show in great detail in these animatics. That is, when I was finally complete with the animatics, I realized that this animation was as high-quality as I had ever done on my previous works: not very high quality animation. I remarked to myself that if I didn't insist on creating a higher quality film this time, I would now be done with all production except rendering.

However, I did want to get higher quality animation. My initial plan to get this would be to use motion-capture technology that I had secured, using IpiSoft. The problem, of course, is that I hadn't yet used the software or the hardware, and I was intimidated by the learning curve that this was sure to bring. In fact, in our past use of this motion-capture tech on our video games, it was quite a pain to get usable animation, and even then, there would be a lot of post-capture details that needed to be ironed out.

Another problem with the motion capture tech that we had is that we used two sets of Kinect cameras, which required two video cards on the computer. My own computer, however, did not have this, so I would be limited to one Kinect camera, unless I bought a new computer with two video cards. This would be quite an expense.

In any case, before I even got started with the motion capture software, another animation solution fell in my lap...

This Homeless Guy research video from a few years ago presents some of the challenges and benefits of using motion capture. In this case we used IpiSoft





Website:  Contacts:       and the film: 

No comments:

Post a Comment