Friday, January 20, 2017

38. FACE TEXTURES

I know that characters are what drive any story. That being the case, I know that our eyes are first drawn to character's faces in order to make a connection. Therefore, I had to spend a lot more time than I am used to when texturing faces. After doing some research, and collecting nice resources, I made sure to use them.

This meant bump and specular maps for lips, wrinkles, and painting a bit of make up, too. I was nervous about doing any of this. But a little bit of patience, and taking time with the project allowed me to turn out something better than I expected. I primarily used skin textures that I found from various sources, and then layered them. This included gray-scale wrinkles that really helped with Erich Zann's character design, but also for the lips on the student's face. 

I created a simple UV map of the faces using the cylindrical mapping tool. Then I exported that UV map, and used that as a framework to paint over. Typically, this meant placing new layers of wrinkles or lips over the UV map, and then modifying their shape to fit nicely. This required me to go back to the 3D app, and see just how the maps were placed, and then going back to the painting app and adjusting as needed.


   

Website:  Contacts:       and the film: 

No comments:

Post a Comment