Wednesday, January 18, 2017

36. ZANN'S CLOTHING DESIGN

Zann's clothes were quite a bit more difficult than the student's clothing. I suppose I could have taken another easy way out, and given him a turtleneck sweater and sweatpants. But I wanted him to have more of a grandfatherly look. However, this goal wasn't always so clear to me.

By chance, I had the television on, and Seinfeld was running in syndication. (It seems like if I really cared, I could probably find Seinfeld on tv at any time of day; when I was a kid, I Love Lucy was like that.) Interestingly enough, the episode called "Old Man" came on, and I saw exactly what I wanted in terms of Zann's character. There was no way that I was going to try create his crazy hair and mustache. But I love the way the old man looked in his sweater. So I was determined to achieve that style.


Having modeled human characters wearing all sorts of clothing for Homeless Guy, I had some idea about how to get the effect that I was aiming for. I would just have to add a bit more detail than I did on Homeless Guy. This wasn't so bad.

Looking back now, I do think that I went a bit too cheap on his pants. I should have modeled some additional seams on the side of his pant legs. In fact, I had wanted to initially. But I couldn't get it quite right, so I left it out. I hope the viewer doesn't mind too much.

The one spot where I knew I wanted to get interesting was with his shoes. I thought of Zann as that crazy old man that wears sandals, even though his ingrown toenails are bloody with infection, coupled with fungus. I've seen such shameless people a lot in my life. I thought that Zann should be so shameless. However, while I did give him sandals, I didn't get add medical specimens to his feet.

The other part of Zann that was more difficult than I expected was his neck. This is for two reasons. One is that I wanted him to have a double chin. However, I just couldn't make that work. Next time I will try harder.

But the other challenge that Zann's neck presented could not simply be ignored. Being that he had a neck, a sweater, and a shirt, he had two collars that would have to stick up, and then come back down. Because I had accomplished this with some effect on Homeless Guy, I didn't prepare for the challenges that emerged when adding real detail. When layers of geometry stack upon each other, it gets a bit confusing keeping track of what's what, and which geometry I am trying to modify. This would be especially problematic when animation setup came around. So in the end, I accepted that I had to make Zann's collar a bit more simple than I might have preferred.


  

Website:  Contacts:       and the film: 

No comments:

Post a Comment