Thursday, January 5, 2017

31. IMPROVING THE FACES

I knew that I would never get accurate representations of either Timothy Spall or Natalie Portman, but I still needed to get characters who looked good. Being the first time that I tried to make realistic-ish human figures, I didn't get the best looking characters at first attempt. (In fact, I did try to create a realistic self-portrait that was used for Homeless Guy; it ended up looking like a bad PlayStation1 video game character; this time I was going for better.)

But then I learned an important step that every artist knows: the first pass is never the best, and it must always be improved. Perhaps the first drafts of these particular characters were a lot rougher than professionals start with, but I was proud of having at least this much to work from. From their initial faces, I had a lot of tweaking to still do, just moving one vertex at a time, or moving faces back and forth to see what looks best.

At this stage, I knew that I wanted both characters to be a bit more stylized rather than photorealistic. For the student, I remembered a rule for anime characters: big eyes, small mouth. Along with trying to make her jaw a bit more feminine, I kept tweaking until I got something I liked. And then asked other people how I could make their faces better still.

One thing that I knew I couldn't get away without making is the nasolabial fold. That is the line that goes down from the top of the nostrils to frame the mouth. I knew that I wanted this more pronounced in Zann's face, but even thought the student would be younger, her underlying physiology would still have such muscles under the face. I had to use different modeling tools to draw this line in, and even had to make a more three-vertices faces than I feel comfortable with.

The other thing that I needed to remember is to make the geometry as simple as possible. That's because it is a lot easier altering low-resolution geometry than altering high-resolution geometry. Pseudo-smoothing tools really helped in this regard, which kept the poly-count low, but smoothed them as though these were high-resolution models.

  

Website:  Contacts:       and the film: 

No comments:

Post a Comment