Tuesday, October 25, 2016

6. BLOCKING OUT THE EXTERIOR SET

During the summer of 2015, my creative juices were feeling like they were atrophied, and I was looking for a new project to begin. There were several avenues I could have chosen, and in fact, I wanted to begin a different animation, but I ended up starting "The Music of Erich Zann." I can't even really explain why I chose this over the other projects that I want to complete, except to say that this Lovecraft work has been sitting on my shelf for too long, I felt. So I started.

Since the layout of the animation was determined on those old papers for so long, I decided to start with the sets. I also feel more confident as a hard-body modeler, rather than as a character modeler. In fact, at this stage, I had no idea where I would go with the characters, so I decided to start on something that I did have an idea about.

There are only two establishing shots in the short story that are exterior scenes. Looking back, and later in the development, I questioned this early set, and whether I would even include this exterior scene. But I really wanted to create a nice exterior, so...

It seemed to me that the original Lovecraft story is set in New Orleans, or something like that. With that in mind, I probably should have researched some New Orleans locales, and architecture, but I don't think that I ever did. Instead I went for New Orleans' influences, European cityscapes, like French and Italian cities and towns. I did Google searches of streets in different cities, and went to work.

I think the first thing I did was try to block out the scene. I did this so that I would then know what I really needed to model in detail to flesh out the set.

Looking back at this, it is clear that this was an ambitious plan, but that it would have been better served if I had first created a detailed screenplay, and/or storyboard that would illustrate what I would need to model for the scene. Many of the initial buildings planned here did not get made, and even fewer that were made actually get seen in the final piece.

  
(I didn't end up building the large cathedral and square, and I changed some of the buildings.)

Website:  Contacts:       

No comments:

Post a Comment