Monday, October 24, 2016

5. OTHER PEOPLE'S STORIES

Some people ask me why I take old stories, instead of writing my own stories. Indeed, each of my previous animations were taken from other people's stories: Bukowski, Akutagawa, or a friend, Otsuki Yoshiko. There are a few reasons for this.

For one thing, it is a lot easier to start from a story that is already written. In this case, I know that H.P. Lovecraft is a much better writer than I am, so I know that this story works. This gives me the structure and plot points already, and I can go from there to develop my own visual language for the work. The

Another reason to utilize old stories is that it means that a large part of the production process is already solved. I think it is hard to write a story (I'm not sure that I have this talent), and even harder to write a good story. Creating an animated short all by myself is already hard enough. Typically, there are many people working on a short animation. In my case, the many people include writers from all over the world. What I'm really saying is that I look for ways to made the process easier, and if there are pre-made solutions, then I will utilize them. (This will be more apparent as I describe more aspects of the production process for "The Music of Erich Zann.")

H.P Lovcraft, the author of "The Music of Erich Zann."


Website:  Contacts:       

No comments:

Post a Comment