Tuesday, October 18, 2016

3. CHOOSING "THE MUSIC OF ERICH ZANN"

It has been many years since I first wanted to make an animated film from H.P. Lovecraft's "The Music of Erich Zann." (My earliest notes seem to be from the year 2009.) There are several reasons for my attraction to this short story. First of all, it is H.P. Lovecraft! He is a giant of genre literature, and his stories have been loved by people all over the world for almost a hundred years. (I don't want to get too much into the details of Lovecraft's corpus, so I'll leave it at that.)

Another key reason that I wanted to animate this work is it's relation to music. I love music, and have worked in music since childhood, so the role of music in this story is also important to me.

More practical reasons that I have for feeling like this was a perfect work for me are more practical in nature. There are really only two characters in the story. That is great for an unskilled animator. (Actually, there are three characters, but I decided to not utilize the landlord character for my animation.) Another practical reason for animating this story is the limited sets that were necessary. My first animation had one set, my second animation had one and a half sets, and my third animation had two sets. This animation was either going to have three or four sets (it took me a while to to decide), so that would be an improvement from previous works.

Also, there is little to no dialogue in the story, which would force me to tell the story nearly completely visually, which I hadn't previously done on my other animations. This lack of dialogue is coupled with the fact that this is a horror story, and I liked the challenge of telling a horror story.

The last reason behind wanting to animate "The Music of Erich Zann" is that the story is short. So no matter how out-of-hand the scope would get, I would never get too far out so that it would never get complete (like dreams of a feature-length animated film might get).



Website:  Contacts:       

No comments:

Post a Comment