Monday, October 17, 2016

2. FROM STORY TO FINISHED MOVIE

One thing to note, right from the get-go is that this film is completed as I start to write here. I figured (perhaps wrongly) that if I had time to write such a development blog, that should have been time spent on the actual development of the film, not this blog. Further, another reason I waited until I was complete to write this is that I don't like to talk about things until they are done. This is mainly because this will lead me to talk a lot about lots of different projects, including projects that never reach completion. I don't want to be the kind of person that talks about completing a project, but doesn't actually complete the project. Thus, I will try to recall (the best I can) the process I went through over the course of the last year.

A year.

This film took a year to complete. It is definitely the longest time that I've spent on any of my animations; however, "The Music of Erich Zann" is probably my best animation to date. Perhaps to do the best work, I must spend a lot of time on it. That notion bothers me, as I typically prefer to finish things quickly, and be done with them. However, the quality of my previous animations probably speaks to the fact that none of them took longer than a couple of months to complete.

After viewing the nearly-finished product of "The Music of Erich Zann," I watched my old animations, too. They made me cringe, and I wish that I had worked more, or focused better on them, especially "Akutagawa's Rashomon." There are many things that I like about that animation, but there are so many details that I skipped in order to rush through it, and thus it looks a lot worse than I remembered.



Some people might say that I should go back and fix that project, but I haven't adequately developed the skill of revisiting and improving old projects; those projects are done, and I am moving on to make better projects in the future. In fact, the future project that I will begin soon is part of my motivation for writing all of this; I hope that I can remember the good techniques that I learned, and try to resolve the problems that still remain. That will, hopefully, make my next project even better!



Website:  Contacts:       

No comments:

Post a Comment