Tuesday, December 20, 2016

29. GETTING ENOUGH VENTALATION

One similarity that was essential between the two rooms was iron gate to the vent, high in the wall. This feature of both rooms was added much later in the production. I always knew that I wanted the scene in her room, where she was listening to Zann's music, but I had always assumed that she was merely listening through the walls.

One thing that was nice about sharing early stills with friends was ithat they could give me suggestions. No one suggested this vent that connects he two rooms, but someone did suggest that I read more books on filmmaking. There had always been a series that caught my eye, but I never actually read, Master Shots by Christopher Kenworthy. So I got all those, and set to reading. By the same publisher was another book called Cinematic Storytelling by Jennifer Van Sijil.

I'll try to get more into what I learned from these books later, but one idea I got was to make the connection between the rooms visual. In fact, I stole the exact idea of the vent between the rooms from one of the books (which got the idea from some specific movie, but I forget which movie it was). In the end, these vent gates play an essential part in the short.

Just like the stair railing and ornamentation design on the armoire, I found some ornamental line art, and modeled the ventilation gates based on that. The only additional work was that I needed was to cut holes into the walls. Since the idea was to also show the darkness deep in the vents, I also placed a black plane behind the vent; I anticipated problems if it was just empty space that would get alpha-channeled out.


   

Website:  Contacts:       and the film: 

No comments:

Post a Comment