Monday, December 5, 2016

22. ZANN'S FURNITURE

To illustrate Zann's age, I wanted to also give him old, ornamental furniture. I spent a lot of time adding such detail to his armoire and cabinet. In order to do this, I researched ornamental design, and found lots of black-line illustrations that I could simply trace over in order to create ornamental geometry. I then slapped this ornamental geometry on top of the furniture where I could. Because this was a tedious process, I only did it twice, with two ornamental designs, and then repurposed the same geometry, perhaps edited in different ways, for different places. This is similar to how I designed the stair rails in the foyer. (This is also how I created the vent covering for both of the rooms; but I didn't decide to add that element until much later in production.)

(One might also notice that the handles on the cabinet were also repurposed as door knockers around the world.)

Having designed such a detailed armoire, I needed to fill it with stuff. (Looking back, I don't think that I filled it with enough clutter.) The obvious solution in my mind were books. I had already created books for a previous project, so I was able to bring those in. Another important element that I want to be sure to include in all of my projects is from my first video game, Alpha Chimp. The only nice thing that I modeled for that project (it was created towards the end of that project, after I my modeling skills were further along), was the main boss of the game, the Alpha Chimp. How I decided to incorporate that here was to include it as a paper weight statue on the armoire. And again, I also repurposed the flowers from the foyer.

I remember thinking that an old man should probably have photographs of friends and family in his home. But I ultimately decided against that because I felt that would take away from his sense of loneliness and solitude. Writing this now, I might regret that decision; perhaps the photographs would have actually lent more sympathy for Zann....

  

  

  

Website:  Contacts:       and the film: 

No comments:

Post a Comment