Monday, December 12, 2016

25. PLAYING GUITAR

The guitar has a special spot in my soul. I've played guitar for over twenty years, and I still pick it up everyday. Thus, from the beginning I knew that in my animated version of "The Music of Erich Zann," he would play a guitar, and I would write the music (I will discuss the music writing process in more detail later). However, I had never created a 3D model of a guitar. I supposed (perhaps mistakenly) that it would be an easy process.

Indeed, it would be easy to utilize photo references of a guitar, but I had a further advantage in that I had a physical guitar readily available that so that I could include even greater detail that I might have missed with photos. One place that I tried to add specific detail were with the strings. Initially, I had planned on animating the actual music performance to the note. (Once I got to the animation phase of the project, this direction was quickly abandoned.) So I had to be specific about exactly where the frets were. This was easy with photographic reference. But I also wanted to be sure to include the excess string, and loops made when tying the strings to the guitar at both ends, at the nut, and at the tuning pegs. To do this, I created a curve, and extruded the strings along that curve.

One place where I left out detail on the guitar is the threads of the screws of the tuning pegs. I've yet to model any screws, and I dread the thought, but I expect that I could probably find some online tutorials regarding this (which is what I did at so many points during the production). So I shouldn't be too scared to do this in the future.

Texturing the guitar wasn't too difficult, either, since the division of the parts is fairly straightforward. The only thing that I paid attention to is where to add specularity (on the body of the guitar), and where not (on the fretboard).

I'll later discuss alterations that I had to make to it during the animation phase of the project.



  

  

Website:  Contacts:       and the film: 

No comments:

Post a Comment