Thursday, December 8, 2016

24. PIANOS AND CLOCKS

I have mentioned before that I try to recycle items that I used in previous projects. This is difficult mainly because many of the earlier items in my collection were not created with skill.

However, two items that I am proud of reappeared in Zann's room. These are the grandfather clock, and the piano. Both items were initially created for my second animated short, "Painting with my Sister." (I also reused them in the postponed video game "Homeless Guy;" the clock makes an important appearance in our successful video game "The Elf Who Killed Christmas.") I suppose that there are details from both items that I would change if I were to recreate them, but for now, they suited their purpose as background set dressing.

One thing that I added to the piano was sheet music that sat on upon the piano, thus giving a bit more detail. Also, imagining the cluttered nature of Zann's room (and psyche), I tried to put more and more items of clutter upon the piano, as though it was also a piece of furniture.

Given the role that music would play in this piece, there were times when I considered using the piano as the instrument that Zann would perform on. There were a couple of reasons for this. First is that I already had the piano, and thus wouldn't need to create an additional instrument. Second, I knew that performing on a piano would be much easier to animate than performing on a guitar (which I ultimately chose), or a viol (which is the instrument in the story). The third reason for considering the piano as Erich Zann's musical instrument is that I knew it would be easier to create or record piano music than guitar music (which is a pain to record), or a viol (which I don't have access too); even using midi generated music, there are much better sounding solutions for piano synthesis than for guitar or viol (or violin) synthesis. (I will discuss these last two issues in more detail later.)

Despite these three good reasons for choosing Zann to play the piano, I decided against this. Ultimately, it was an aesthetic decision that the final scene could not be realized with him playing a piano. However, there was still room for a piano to sit in the corner of his room. (The alarm clock is hardly seen, but since I talk about clocks here, this seemed like a nice place to show it.)

  

Website:  Contacts:       and the film: 

No comments:

Post a Comment